9 Days/8 Nights Bhutan Discovery Tour
This will be a small and private tour led by myself. You don’t have to form a group to visit Bhutan. We understand that you have hectic schedule and may not be able to travel with your friends.
I have designed this 9 days tour package for the convenient of my guests who would like to experience and see the best of the kingdom in a relatively short duration. You will be travelling to four beautiful valleys of the Kingdom.
It is hard to imagine that such a small country, the size of Indiana with the population of Alaska, tucked in the Himalaya Mountains, accessible only by two airplanes, is the “Happiest Country” in the world, the last standing Buddhist Kingdom and has one of the fastest growing GDP’s in the world. This country is Bhutan, “Land Of The Thunder Dragon.” Bhutan is located in South Asia and is landlocked between India, Tibet, China, and Nepal.
Bhutan has found the perfect balance. In recent years, internet, cable television, cell phones, as well as many other modern technologies and ideas have become a part of Bhutan, but desire to preserve of cultural values, as well as the desire to protect the environment has remained high. Bhutan’s economy and culture are growing and changing. Bhutan’s unique strategy “Gross National Happiness” has presented a solution to globalization. Able to adapt to globalization, to strengthening the economy, while still preserving thousand year old traditions and culture. Bhutan is the only Buddhist Kingdom still in the world, and one where cell phones and cable television are present.
Visit Bhutan, The Land of Happiness
Travel Date: 1-9 April 2019
Duration: 9 Days, 8 Nights
Group Size: Maximum 8 Pax only
RSVP: before 10 January 2019
Locations: Bangkok, Paro, Thimphu, Punakha, Gangtey
Flights: Thai Airways and Druk Air
Type of Tour: Cultural and Adventure
Highlight: Visit to the Ta Dzong (National Museum), Punakha Dzong, Worlds tallest bronze Buddha statue, Tiger’s nest hike, 7th Century Jampa Lhakhang, Thimphu town etc.
Fee: RM12,900 per person
What is included in this tour
- Airfares (KL-Bangkok-Bhutan-Bangkok-KL)
- Hotel twin sharing room
- All meals
- Government royalty
- Entrance fees, visa and permit
- Overland transportation within Bhutan
- Sightseeing as per itinerary with English speaking guide
- Hotel and airport transfers within Bhutan
If you have any questions, you may contact me at:
An All-Inclusive Tour Package
Day 1 Kuala Lumpur – Bangkok
- Meet at KLIA for flight departure via Thai Airways.
- Flight details and schedule to be confirmed in due time. Flight will arrive at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Bangkok.
- Check in to Novotel Suvarnabhumi.
- Rest and relax for the rest of the day.
- Overnight in Bangkok
Day 2 Bangkok – Bhutan
Arrival in Paro, Bhutan
Transfer to Thimphu Valley (1.5 hours drive)
- In clear weather, your flight to Bhutan will provide breathtaking views of Mount Everest, Kanchen Junga and other Himalayan Peaks including sacred Jomolhari and Mount Jichu Drake.
- Upon arrival at Paro airport and after completion of airport formalities, your friendly tour guide will meet you at the arrival gate.
- Next, we will drive from Paro to Thimphu, the modern capital town of Bhutan.
- Check in to hotel and enjoy your first Bhutanese cuisine for lunch.
- After lunch, we will visit the National Memorial Chorten.
- Then, we will visit Takin Reserve Centre to see some wildlife animals including the Takin, the national animal of Bhutan.
- We will head back to the town for a relaxing stroll along the main street and see some interesting Himalayan artefacts or textiles.
- We will visit the archery park to see Bhutanese enjoying their national sport, Archery.
Overnight in Thimphu
Day 3 Thimphu – Punakha
Transfer to Punakha (2.5 hours drive)
- After breakfast, we will drive to Punakha Valley.
- We will have a stop over to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the high mountain pass of Dochula before arriving at Punakha Valley.
- We will visit several sights along the way including one of Bhutan’s first fortress monasteries, the 17th century Simtokha Dzong, and ancient wall paintings at the Hongtsho Goemba monastery. The journey continues over the 3,050m mountain pass where on a clear day, towering Himalayan peaks are clearly visible.
- After lunch, we will proceed and visit the impressive Punakha Dzong. This ancient fortress is the winter residence of the monastic order’s head and still serves as the administrative headquarters for the Punakha region.
- We will explore this small village and its row of intimate shops before heading back to Punakha Valley.
Dinner Overnight in Punakha
Day 4 Punakha – Gangtey
Transfer to Gangtey (3.5 hours drive)
- After breakfast, we will visit the Chimi Lhakhang, the auspicious fertility monastery built in 1499 and a temple dedicated to the “Divine Madman”, an eccentric monk from the 16th century famous for many his many amusing, Rabelaisian folklore stories.
- From here we will drive to Kazhi village with a picnic lunch en-route. Kazhi is located around 25 km away from Wangdue Phodrang and it is endowed with pristine environment. Mountains that are covered with beautiful forest mostly dominated by chirpiness surrounded most of the villages. Besides having many significant temples established by the renowned saint, most of the places under this Gewog are also blessed by Guru Rinpoche, popularly known as Belangdra nye that is located an hour walk from the road point. This is a place where we will hike to get blessings and gloated to witness a place.
- Later we will drive to Gangtey Valley spent the night in the happiness valley having a peaceful life in a countryside.
Overnight in Gangtey
Day 5 Gangtey – Thimphu Valley
Transfer to Thimphu (4.5 hours drive)
- After breakfast, we will discover this magnificent valley and take a beautiful nature hike through the pine tree forest to soak up in the beauty of the valley before we drive back to Thimphu Valley, the home of many great treasures.
- We will have lunch upon reaching Thimphu.
- Then, we visit the tallest sitting Buddha in the world at Buddha Point, traditional paper making factory, Folk Heritage Museum, and the National Library.
- Next, we visit the craft bazar to see the exquisite artistry of Bhutanese traditional crafts and textiles.
- Then, we visit Zorig Chusum (where students learn the 13 traditional arts and crafts of Bhutan).
- Next, we will head to the north end of the valley to view Trashi Chhoe Dzong, the seat of Bhutan’s government and Royal offices.
Overnight in Thimphu
Day 6 Taktshang (Tiger’s Nest) Hike
- We will take an unforgettable hike up to Taktsang Monastery, also known as Tiger’s Nest.
- It is believed that Guru Rinpoche, founding father of the Bhutanese form of Mahayana Buddhism, arrived here on the back of a tigress and meditated at this monastery. The main structure was severely damaged by fire in 1998, but after many years of painstaking restoration work, the complex has now been fully restored to its former glory.
- After the hike, we will take a drive up to the valley to view the ruins of Drukgyel Dzong on the north side of the valley. It was from here that the Bhutanese repelled several invading Tibetan armies during the 17th century.
- On the way back, we will visit Kyichu Lhakhang, established in the 7th century and one of the two oldest shrines in the kingdom (the other is in Bumthang), marking the introduction of Buddhism in Bhutan.
Overnight in Paro
Day 7 Haa Valley Excursion
- The isolated Haa valley lies southwest of the Paro valley, hidden behind the high ridge of the Cheli La. Despite easy access to Tibet, the remote valley has always been off the major trade routes and continues to be on the fringes of tourism. The valley is the ancestral home of the Dorji family, to which the queen grandmother, Ashi Kesang Wangchuck, belongs.
- We start the day early for the drive to Haa via Chele-la Pass. After driving 4 km to Bondey Village, we take a side road and begin the steep climb up the hillside to Chele-la (3,810m/12,573ft), reaching the pass after a 45 km hike. On a clear day there is a superb view of Mount Jomolhari and Jichu Drake from this point.
- We will head towards Haa town for a late lunch.
- After lunch, we explore Lhakhang Karpo and Narpo and drive back to the valley. The balance of the day can be spent browsing shops in town or enjoy a sock in the spa around the lodge.
Overnight in Haa
Day 8 Bhutan – Bangkok
- After breakfast, we will head to the airport in time to catch your departing flight. Your guide and driver will bid you farewell and the remote and legendary Dragon Kingdom will again disappear behind its guardian mountain.
- Druk Air flight will depart for Bangkok. Flight will arrive in Suvarnabhumi Airport.
- Check in to hotel. Rest and relax for the rest of the evening.
Overnight in Bangkok
Day 9 Bangkok – Kuala Lumpur
- Morning call. Free and easy.
- In the evening, we will leave for Suvarnabhumi International Airport for our flight back to Kuala Lumpur.
Please leave your details below if you are interested to join this adventure and I will get back to you soon.